As a designer, I have seen many spaces in need of a little help. Some projects are more complicated than others, but the following issues seem to pop up over and over again. These simple mistakes are easy to fix with a little effort and know-how.
DRAPES THAT ARE TOO SHORT
Drapery panels that stop short of the floor are a simple fix. Aim for panels that are 1-2 inches above the ground. If a standard size panel doesn’t work, order the next size up and have your local dry cleaner hem the panels, or enlist the help of an interior designer and have custom drapery panels made.
SOFAS THAT ARE TOO BIG
Putting a huge sofa in a small room is a very common mistake. It’s tough to remedy this situation without purchasing a new sofa, so think twice about the scale of a piece before purchasing.
COFFEE TABLE IS AN ISLAND
This problem usually features furniture pieces shoved against the walls and a coffee table floating in the center of the room with no relation to any of the furniture around it. Instead, use furniture to create intimate seating groups. Be sure to avoid blocking major traffic flow patterns in the room. Coffee tables should be placed no more than 16-20 inches from a sofa or armchair.
TINY AREA RUGS
We have all seen a large room with one small rug in the center. Rugs should be used to ground a room and your seating arrangement. First determine your furniture plan, then measure out a rug that will allow all the furniture legs to sit on it (with a few inches to spare). Area rugs should not be placed closer than 12 inches to a wall.
UNWELCOMING GUEST ROOMS
To make your guest feel right at home, provide a nightstand and reading lamp, along with a comfortable bed and nice linens.
- Mar 23, 2019 Cookie Monster finds Forever Home Mar 23, 2019
- Jan 27, 2019 Five Common Decorating Mistakes Jan 27, 2019
- Jun 10, 2018 Timeless Kitchen Trends Jun 10, 2018
- Jan 19, 2018 How to think like an Interior Designer Jan 19, 2018
- May 1, 2017 Tips for Choosing Interior Paint May 1, 2017
- Apr 3, 2017 How to Hire an Interior Designer Apr 3, 2017
- Mar 1, 2017 Organizing Your Home Mar 1, 2017
- Feb 1, 2017 How to Accessorize Like a PRO Feb 1, 2017
- Jan 4, 2017 Renovation Planning Checklist Jan 4, 2017